Sadly no, but let's defy the arctic blasts and have some writerly good fun.
After all of our talk about collaboration last week, writing a serial story with our readers seems like the most logical (and entertaining) next step.
This Friday the 31st, you'll find the beginning of the story posted here, and yes, we collaborated. We had a ball.
You have a huge part to play in this. We'll supply the beginning, but we invite you to add each consecutive portion of the story for the following Fridays until, well, the story is finished satisfactorily.
This is how our serial story (yet to be titled) will work:
- We post the beginning of the story this Friday, January 31.
- You jump in with unbridled enthusiasm to write a portion of the story. Please let us know via our contact us button. We'll be waiting!
- We will then assign you a week to write up to 300 words. That's about a page. Your job is to keep the story moving with good tension, interesting twists, and ever-deepening revelations about the characters.
- The next author (and you know you want to play along) starts where the previous author left off.
- Your installment is due the Wednesday before the Friday it is published.
- Remain true to the characters. Yes, they should surprise us but in a way that's consistent with who they are.
- Let's practice what we've been preaching about nouns and verbs. Adjectives and adverbs are very welcome to play, in moderation. Lean hard on specific nouns and power verbs.
- Have fun, fun, fun!
- Invite your authorial friends to join us.
We believe we have the most creative and talented readers in the blogosphere. We can wait to see what you have to contribute.